Monday 26 January 2015

Saint Germain De Confolens - France ...


 Another great place we saw on my visit to the Charente 
in May 2014 with Diane and Nigel. 

I just did a google on this castle and found Diane's blog post 
of a visit she did in 2012. I am sure she won't mind the link to her blog!!

Saint-Germain-de-Confolens is a small village  in the north-east of the Charente department (Poitou-Charentes region) to the north of Confolens.
The village stands below a hill that is dominated by  two  important monuments - the castle and the 12th century Church of Saint-Vincent.

We went to see this .....

 And were amazed to also see these ...

Here you can alos see the church of 

St Vincent ...

(more about these in a new post) 


The fortified castle of Saint-Germain, although in ruins, still has a substantial amount to see - especially the two large circular towers, with the remains of the main castle building in between them. The castle dates from the 14th-15th centuries and is built on the site of a 12th century fortress.













 And nestled away behind the wall and with a river running near by 
is this lovely little Cemetery .. lovingly looked after too!




The Church of Saint Vincent was originally the chapel of the chateau. 



Say a little pray for me ..


 Love the Stained Glass window!



   The Gallic rooster ,   as a symbol for France dates back to the collapse of the Roman Empire and the formation of Gaul. Despite its frequent use as a symbol for France, the rooster has never been an official emblem. “Cocorico !” (French for “cock-a-doodle-doo”) is often used as an affirmation of French patriotism.



 I know a lot of you
enjoy history, architecture and  the views too.
Hope you enjoy this. 

Thank you to everyone for their lovely comments on my previous post 
and on Facebook too!!  I think Facebook is taking over from blogging , but 
I am going to keep going on here for as long as I can.
♥ ♥ ♥ 


11 comments:

  1. We've done a couple of lovely bike rides that have taken in St Germain De Confolens. The bridge is so pretty, but it's a bit hillier there than were we live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jacqueline , I thought you might of been here , or at least the village , Yes the bridge is pretty but my friend says it has lost part of its beauty when it was widen.. lovely place.

      Delete
  2. Anne, This is so impressive. I'd love to see these ruins. How inspiring. Thanks for playing along with Dreaming of France today. Here’s my Dreaming of France meme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Paulita , I thought you would love it . I am sure that you would love to go to the places that my friend and her husband took me. I have a few more to sure you all .. Her husband did all the planning of my trip , which was just super of him, such fabulous charming places. My pleasure , I do forget to go to Dreaming of France but I soon catch up .. take care.

      Delete
  3. This looks like a place that I would love to visit :-) Thank you for the virtual journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooops missed this post. I love those ruins and am looking forward to your post - more about the citroens, that was fun. Of course I do not mind you using my link. Please do not let FB take over from blogging, there is no comparison, FB is not nearly as interesting.. Take care and keep warm Diane xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh wow, this is a really cute place! I love the photo with the cars!

    And happy Blogiversary!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How many castles do you think there are in France? It amazes me that I see posts about areas I have never even heard of.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As you say sharing on social media is changing all the time! I now find Instagram taking more of my time as it is so easy to share photos instantly! However I do still enjoy reading posts such as this one, makes me realise just how many places I would love to visit in our beautiful world. Like books too many places and not enough time, so armchair travel is great! Thanks for sharing your lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone for commenting, it certainly makes my day. A pleasure to see everyone of you. Old and New.. Blogging not only opens up the world but gives us new friends.