Saturday 20 September 2014

UPDATED - Want to see something new in London ? Follow me.

Back in July , I took a day off to
go and see my friend Jennifer.
 
We both like seeing new areas and walking ,
which is great .
 
I wanted to try
 
 
new Pasta bar in
 
 
 
 
 
 
Leadenhall Market

(for full history please click on link above) 
 
and Jennifer was up for it too.
(It was super)
 
 
An Amazing entrance ,,
 
 
 


 In the richly decorated space

of Leadenhall market

 Cerith Wyn Evans’

 neon ‘mirror-text’
plays with the meanings of language

This is part of Sculpture in the City 2014 along with
Richard Wentworth and the hanging books.
 
 
 
 
dates back to the 14th century and is situated in what was the centre of Roman London. Originally a meat, poultry and game market, it now features a variety of vendors as well as commercial shops, restaurants, cafes and pubs
 
 

 
Such a beautifully designed market with very ornate details.


The ornate roof structure, painted green, maroon and cream, and cobbled floors of the current structure, designed in 1881 by Sir Horace Jones (who was also the architect of Billingsgate and Smithfield Markets), make Leadenhall Market a tourist attraction.







 
We also came across this very bizarre display of books , thinking there might
be a bookshop near by , but nothing , so we have no idea why this is here,
but it is a cool display and funky!!

I NOW know why this is here!!

All part of  ART OUTDOORS and the Royal Academy

and Sculpture in the City 2014


 Richard Wentworth’s

False Ceiling

inspired by the combinations
of high and low culture found at flea market stalls.


Richard's WORK  is very bizarre and one persons understanding of Art
 is another persons thought  of "What is THAT"
 

 
As this market is in the city
 
 
it is very popular for all the business people of London with pubs and restaurants
to suit all.
 
 
I am sure we all have time for lunch and a drink here .



I am sure some of you will venture here if you come to London.
 
I am glad that we ventured there.
 
♥♥♥♥♥
 
 
 

12 comments:

  1. That was pretty interesting and cool! I love the books (the pathway to learning). thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just read on Wiki that it was used in Harry Potter and part of the the marthon pathway for Olympic runners! Used also for Erasure's music video "Love to Hate You". Other movies were made there as well. Check it out very interesting.

      Delete
    2. Hi Lucia , thank you so much for this very interesting information , I will put an update on my post later x

      Delete
  2. I rarely get to London, but have promised myself a midweek Christmas shopping trip in early December.
    What an interesting place and I love the book display. Like you,, I would have expected there to be a nearby bookshop?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gaynor , I love going to London , don't go often , when my friend is free or too see my mum in law. Yes it would be great to get down there before Christmas , I now know why the books are there so will update my post, thanks to my friend Lucia.

      Delete
  3. Great post Anne and your new camera is doing a great job. I know little of London as I do not like cities in general, I go if I have to! Never the less, my week in Paris will probably be the longest I have ever stayed in a city! Have a good week, Diane xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And what a city to go too !! I do hope that you love it as much as me. Have a great time , I am sure you will. take care xox

      Delete
  4. I wonder when I finally go to London?:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great place would love to sit and have a drink!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely post Anne and well worth a visit - will have to add to the list ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the tip! I am always looking for out of the way places to visit in London. This is on my list for end of October :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks like a fabulous place to visit, you have taken some great photos.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone for commenting, it certainly makes my day. A pleasure to see everyone of you. Old and New.. Blogging not only opens up the world but gives us new friends.