Thursday 9 November 2017

This time in Rabat....Malta

Everyday I took myself off
somewhere new on the bus .
 
This day I caught the bus to Rabat,
little bit of confusion as where to catch the
bus in Qrendi but sorted it out and ended up going
to Zurrieq first , no problem.
  



The bus took us around the coastal line to
Dingli  and then Rabat. Loved using the buses.

Rabat (Maltese: Ir-Rabat, [ɪrˈrɐbɐt]) is a town in the Northern Region of Malta, with a population of 11,497 as of March 2014. The name of the town is derived from the Arabic word for 'suburb': الرباط, as it was the suburb of the old capital Mdina.

I just walked and took photos ♥




I came across a lovely little chapel (see photos below)  , which
sadly has fallen in to sad times and they are
trying to raise money for the Renovations.
 
An elderly gentleman and his young grandson (about age 11)
were telling  me all about it .  The boy was so great
and knowledgeable, I see a Tour guide and more in the making.
 
This is the
 
Santa Maria Ta' Doni
 
I wish I could find out more ..


Really does need help with funds for Renovation ..








Love this little Shoemakers ♥







 

See the wall plague at the end ♥



Around every corner there is something to see




 



 
I had no idea who this was but a very interesting story (glad I did now)
 
The Bust Below is of ...
 
Michael Spiteri, known as Kilin, left a literary heritage that will now be enjoyed by the Maltese people. Kilin’s seven children have worked tirelessly so that their father will be given the honour he deserves.
Kilin, who died eight years ago at the age of 91, will now be remembered with a bust inaugurated at the entrance of the Rabat primary school where he received his initial formal education. The bust is the work of sculptor Joseph Scerri from Rabat. Michael Spiteri will be best remembered for his fine writings, mostly in articles in newspapers and the many literary works he published, such as his best known ‘Fuq l-Ghajn ta’ San Bastjan’ in which he recounts his childhood memories in Rabat. Kilin also published a considerable amount of books including novels, poetry and about his favourite subject – environment.
Kilin’s commemoration took place on the initiative of his children and the assistance of Minister Evarist Bartolo and author Trevor Zahra.
 (All information above was taken from the Web)





I decided to go to the Catacombs as I was here,
pretty eerie walking around by yourself but I did it!!!

Rabat is home to the famous Catacombs of St. Paul and of St. Agatha. These catacombs were used in Roman times to bury the dead as, according to Roman culture, it was unhygienic to bury the dead in the city Mdina and parts of Rabat were built on top of an ancient Roman city. The Maltese Catacombs were never meant to be hiding places during persecutions or as living quarters.



They were filming down in the Catacombs , for a tv
programme , the presenter was the otherside of the camera.




This is just a short tour of Rabat , I hope you enjoyed it.
 
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
 

7 comments:

  1. Wow Anne such a beautiful place and I hope they get to renovate that church it is beautiful. Love the shoemaker, my Mum had a cousin many years ago that was a shoemaker! Beautiful photos of a beautiful place. Take care and enjoy your weekend Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane , yes so very beautiful and I love it . I really hope that they get help to renovate this beautiful little chapel ,, Wow so I brought happy memories to you with the Shoemaker , so wonderful to see these local shops. Enjoy your trip , Take care Anne

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the interesting post, Anne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Linda , you are welcome , I look forward to your posts too .. Little bit jealous :-) I wish I was going back :-) I do hope that you enjoy yourself. xx

      Delete
  3. Oh wow this place looks wonderful. Thank you for sharing your photos and interesting information about the place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello CherryPie , thank you for your lovely comment , so happy that you enjoyed this post and the interesting info , hope you are well .

      Delete
  4. Anne-I did not know you are Maltese. Are we distant cousins. I was there last year-after about a 26 year absence. I agree Bugibba is very touristy. I think they ruined it. I did enjoy my time there.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone for commenting, it certainly makes my day. A pleasure to see everyone of you. Old and New.. Blogging not only opens up the world but gives us new friends.