Thursday 7 September 2017

Miracle of Rotunda of Mosta Malta..June/July 2017

It was 26 years since I visited Malta , I had to return to the land of my
fathers. It just felt amazing to be there. 
 
 
 
I had wanted to go back to this church , so I just hopped on a bus.
So easy and cheap to get around Malta and I was amazed at how
well I did. So were my cousins. I spent most of the days
going around on my own. But it was fine , they were
at the end of a phone and we had lots of time together.

The Parish Church of the Assumption is more often than not ,  known as the Rotunda of Mosta  or the Mosta Dome. It is a Roman Catholic Parish church,  built between 1833 and the 1860s to neoclassical designs of Giorgio Grognet de Vassé, on the site of an earlier Renaissance church which had been built in around 1614 to designs of Tommaso Dingli.


 
(read more info in link above)



The design of the present church is based on the Pantheon in Rome, and it is said to have the third largest unsupported dome in the world.


THE MIRACLE
 
The church narrowly avoided destruction during World War II.  
 
On the 9th April 1942
A German aerial
bomb pierced the dome and fell into the
church during Mass but failed to explode.
 
 
This event was interpreted by the Maltese as a miracle.
 
 
I always light a candle ..
mine is the one to the left of the photo.
 


Beautiful Dome , work of Art..
 





 
Stunning designs. 





The photo below is of a small dome and I was determined to get
this one right , but it was hard.. as you can imagine. I was
leaning over backwards. Looks like the sky. 



 
Slowly but surely I will do blogging.
And share more of my trip to
FABULOUS MALTA.
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
 

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Liz :-) , little bit of a challenge but it all worked out great ♥

      Delete
  2. Wonderful pics, Anne.
    Looking forward to further posts xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Gaynor , Thank you so much , slowly but surely I am doing my posts about Malta :-).. will have to do another one soon. Take care xx

      Delete
  3. What a stunning church and yes I am sure a miracle that the bomb did not explode. Take care and have a good weekend Diane xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane , thank you , yes absolutely stunning. Yes a miracle . ♥ Take care too. I went to Goodwood Revival this weekend , thanks to a Formula 1 friend who bought me a ticket . xx

      Delete
  4. Hi Anne. Sorry I'm a bit late in getting here. Lovely to see you here again, and I loved the photos. You did well exploring on your own, but as you said, your cousins were at the end of the phone. Enjoy your break away x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane , never too late ♥ Thank you for compliment. Yes I did surprise myself too, but it was so easy getting around, and bless him, my cousin. He sent me texts if he thought I was a long time .♥ So I just phoned him to reassure him. I was normally late because I called into Valetta again , my fav place and had a glass of wine before heading home ♥

      Delete
  5. Lovely post Anne I really enjoyed reading about your trip to Malta.
    The finest fish soup that I have ever tasted was made by a Maltese
    lady who was married to a Welshman, they ran a little cliff top restaurant,
    it was called The Dive Inn, they had a decompression chamber and diving eqipment
    that the local/holiday divers would use in exchange for part of their catch. Therefore
    the Inn had ab abundant supply of fresh lobster, crabs, sole, red mullet, etc,
    they would net during the dives.
    love Di xxx
    d

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Di , thank you for your lovely comment , so happy that you liked it. I have a few more places to write about , but , takes me a while now. Wow such an interesting tale you have to tell too, How great that they could exchange Fish for a Dive or vice versa :-) take care Love Anne xx

      Delete

Thank you to everyone for commenting, it certainly makes my day. A pleasure to see everyone of you. Old and New.. Blogging not only opens up the world but gives us new friends.