Thursday 10 January 2013

A weekend AWAY from Paris – Rouen

I was in Paris for a week
and Leesa thought it would be
good to go and see somewhere else.
I had seen all my other friends that
week, Karin, Barbara, Dawn, Jennifer and Brigitte,
had two fabulous get-together
SO ON
June 10th 2011
Leesa and I went to
Rouen for my birthday.
She found a fab little place to stay for us, and
we took the train up there.
We are going to start with
Pont Boieldieu
Cimg0343
 PicMonkey Collage1 PicMonkey Collage2 PicMonkey Collage3
The above are busts of famous explorers, these are on either side of the bridge
along the footpaths.
Rouen is on the Seine, about 100 kms north west of Paris. It is the main city of Haute Normandie (Upper Normandy) and of Seine-Maritime. The site has been around for hundreds of years, and was, for a very long time, the second city of France. It is also the  last point on the Seine that can be bridged, which made it an important city for shipping and commerce.
♥♥♥

10 comments:

  1. Now I am looking forward to these photos. I have driven through Rouen so many times and managed to get lot umpteen times as well. For all that I have never seen Rouen as such. I can now look at it through your eyes. Thanks. Don't get cold. Diane oxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the sign and see that this is where Joan of Arc's ashes were scattered! I knew she was connected somehow to Rouen, but didn't know this detail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've been to Rouen, just loved the place,. We had beef steak, cooked in the only way the French cook it...quite rare, delicious with the customary pomme fritte... and even served English mustard. We sat at a table overlooking the river.
    It was a really a cold and misty day but just being in France, made it all so romantic and lovely... hmmm must go back again soon ..xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never been to Rouen, but perhaps it's a place to visit when I'm next in Paris. Interesting to see that Joan of Arc's ashes are there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been to Rouen and it is stunning. How lovely to look back on those lovely summer memories in the midst of our gloomy winter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bonjour Anne,
    I also have been to Rouen and really enjoyed it. There are still old wooden homes and a beautiful cathedral. The next time that you may return, try the Joan of Arc museum.

    Big hugs xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Late Birthday Anne,
    It looks and sounds like you two had a spectacular and inspiring adventure in Rouen! Also, Happy 2013 to you and yours!!

    xox
    Constance

    ReplyDelete
  8. You must have had a lovely time! Happy New Year, Anne. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd like to go to Rouen one day- the Joan of Arc connection of course, and also Gustave Flaubert grew up there, although he was quite disparaging about it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone for commenting, it certainly makes my day. A pleasure to see everyone of you. Old and New.. Blogging not only opens up the world but gives us new friends.