Monday 28 July 2008

Summer Supper


It is so warm tonight, so a very light supper was called for..We had Parma Ham, Green olives stuffed with pimentoes, Sun Blushed tomatoes, Salad and Puy Lentil Salad taken from Ainsley Harriots Barbecue Bible.

Puy Lentil, Red Onion and Sundried Tomato Salad

Serves 8

225 g Puy Lentils
1 fresh bay leaf
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
2 garlic cloves, peeled and left whole
pinch of caster sugar
1 red onion, finely chopped
50 g sundried tomatoes in oil, drained and chopped
1-2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, (depending on your taste)
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
100 g goats' cheese or feta cheese, crumbled
3 tablespoons of flatleaf parsley
salt and pepper

Put the lentils into a pan with the bay leaf, vinegar, 1 whole clove garlic, sugar and a little pinch of salt and pepper. Cover with 1.2 litres of cold water, bring to boil, and leave to simmer for 25 minutes until just tender but still holding their shape.
Drain the lentils well, discarding bay leaf and garlic. tip into bowl and leave to go cold.
Finely chop the remaining garlic clove and stir it into the lentils with the rest of the ingredients. Season to taste with salt and pepper and chill for 2 hours before serving.

Enjoy, Bon Appetite, Buon Appetito.

11 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious Anne, and I know what you mean about the warm evenings. One in particular was so uncomfortable that we ended up eating only a large serving of mixed greens for dinner, then cooled ourselves even further on watermelon and loads of gelato for dessert.

    A pity that we don't have a swimming pool in our yard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds grat...just wish I lived close enough to pop on over :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like a great recipe. My husband loves lentils and I love sundried tomatoes-I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to double check which blog I was on then ;-)

    It looks delicious :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rowena...it was so hot but I was hungry...oh watermelon and gelato would of been a great dessert to finish the meal:-) oh and a dip in a pool...would of been great..we did stand out in the rain when it started ...bliss :-)

    Well Robin if you are ever in England...be sure to tell me :-)

    Hi linda, had it last year at a party...it is delicious..hope you try it. I hope you enjoy it if you do..:-)

    Hi Cherrypie...I know I don;t normally do a food post, only every now and again..it was delicious.

    Thanks for all your lovely comments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds just the job - I will try it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My sweet husband cooks dinner when he’s at home. It’s too hot for hot meals these days. I love salads and your recipe sounds delicious!

    Love the photo-collage.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stound super fresh, summery and delish!
    You are a lucky girl!!
    xo
    Constance

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Anne,
    I'm no wizard in the kitchen, but this looks good enough to try....
    Thanks!
    Emma

    ReplyDelete
  10. ooh yum, thanks for the recipe! I must get the other cookbook you mentioned on my blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone for commenting, it certainly makes my day. A pleasure to see everyone of you. Old and New.. Blogging not only opens up the world but gives us new friends.