Saturday 21 June 2014

Dreaming of France ,, Villebois-Lavalette part 2

 
 Who loves a biscuit ?
 
Les Cornuelles,   a unique speciality of Villebois, are small Easter biscuits.

They are instantly recognisable by their shape, a small triangle with a hole through the centre, symbolising the creation and the Holy Trinity.

In days gone by, these little shortbread biscuits were threaded onto long sticks to carry them to market.   They also decorated the branches of boxwood trees blessing Palm Sunday.
 
 
 La Cornuelle is a short-bread biscuit decorated with aniseed stars or balls.   Distinctive - in a triangular shape (some say to represent The Holy Trinity - The Father, The Son and the Holy Spirit) with a hole through the middle, allowing it to slide easily onto branches during the festival.   Traditionally, the biscuits are blessed on the branches of the boxwood tree, and enjoyed by the villagers after the Palm Sunday service!  It is also written, that the Saint-Jacques de Compostelle pilgrims carried them around their necks to sustain them on their long journey.    At the start of  Spring, the cornuelle also comes to represent fertility. You can read more HERE


In Villebois Lavelette they use  the biscuit designed brass markers to identify points of interest for tourists .  I do believe you can get a map at the Tourist Information .




Love Shutters , I think we must all
have so many photos of them .


This car has not moved for a long time!!

 
 
 
Are you dreaming of France and have story to share,
maybe about  a book , memories , a film or a trip you made or would
like to make then why not join us on
 
 
over on Paulita's blog
 
 
 
 
 

13 comments:

  1. What an interesting thing to use as a marker for tourists Anne. Shutter pictures are great. Can't have too many of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathy , Yep you sure cannot get enough of Shutters. I must have 100's of photos :-)

      Delete
  2. I'd never heard of those biscuits before and what a great way to highlight tourist attractions! You're making me want to go back to France SOON! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leslie , a very interesting way to guide tourists about the town , I had never heard of those biscuits before, but then I have never been to this area of France. I do hope that you get your wish to go back SOON!! x

      Delete
  3. I'd never heard of the biscuits either and that giant biscuit sculpture really threw me! I love your car and shutter pictures too. Thanks for playing along. Don't forget to put your name on the list with a link to your blog! Here’s my Dreaming of France meme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paulita , Love the giant Sculpture, great way to promote the town. I am happy that you love this post and photos xi will add my link .

      Delete
  4. Anne, there should be a proper button to click because I just LOVE this! Thanks for sharing the informational link -- wish we lived closer so that we could attend the cornuelle fair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Rowena , we should have a ♥ button. Glad that you found it interesting , I find it difficult to write sometimes, to make it interesting enough, Maybe one day you will go to that side of France .

      Delete
  5. Biscuits and cakes in France are superb, in fact all food stuff in France is superb, apart from roasted calf head, frogs legs and l'escargot,,,yuk !
    I love the shutters, when my sister lived in Brittany it used to take ages to close them all at night but they were a great security measure. We've had so many trips around France, I could almost write a book ,
    Another interesting piece Anne, I enjoyed reading it,
    love Di..xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Trubes, I love l'escargot cooked in garlic, I am sure you could write a book ,would be super, I am happy that you enjoyed reading this post, thanks for all your support . xx

      Delete
    2. Hi Anne, I've got a new post up for abcwednesday one of the hardest letters in the alphabet.... Z.. Why don't you join in? I know you're busy at present but I'm sure you would really write some good stuff !
      love,
      Di xxx

      Delete
  6. Glad you loved this little town as much as we did. Sorry we did not get to go in the castle this trip. Have a good day. Diane xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane, I did love the town as much as you :-) , I am sure I will return one day , , take care and have a good day too, hope you are enjoying your hols xoxo

      Delete

Thank you to everyone for commenting, it certainly makes my day. A pleasure to see everyone of you. Old and New.. Blogging not only opens up the world but gives us new friends.