Tuesday 31 May 2011

Udine and its wonderful architecture ....

In the principal square (Piazza della Libertà) stands the town hall (Loggia del Lionello) built in 1448–1457 in the Venetian-Gothic style opposite a clock tower (Torre dell’Orologio) resembling that of the Piazza San Marco at Venice. It was begun in 1448 on a project by Nicolò Lionello, a local goldsmith, and was rebuilt following a fire in 1876.




The Clock Tower, is one of the jewels of Liberty Square. It was built in 1527 by Giovanni da Udine , on the same scheme of the Venetian tower in Piazza .  On top of the tower, the two statues are known as "Huomini delle ore" and on the hours they strike on a bell placed between them.  The two statues were created by the sculptor Vincenzo Luccardi in 1850. The clock is round, very elegant, decorated in the center of a golden sun on a blue background.

 The Loggia di San Giovanni, a Renaissance structure designed by Bernardino da Morcote. Other monuments in the square are the Fountain by Giovanni Carrara, an architect from Bergamo (1542); the Columns bearing the Venetian Lion and the Statue of Justice (1614), the statues of Hercules and Cacus and the Statue of Peace (1819) which was donated to Udine by Emperor Francis I to commemorate the peace Treaty of Campoformido.




Statue of Justice


There is so much more too see... this is just the start of the day.!

13 comments:

  1. Thank you for these. I love going on vacation while sitting in front of my computer. I'm saving so much money.
    Thanks! Beautiful shots. m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the trip through Italy Anne, your photos are fantastic. That clock tower is superb. Hope all well. Diane xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photos, the clock tower is beautiful :) I bet you had a fabulous time there...thank you so much for sharing :)
    Have a nice evening!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anne,

    These photos are delightful. I could have seen myself taking my time to experience the beautiful archtecture on all sides.

    Thank you for sharing :) xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anne. You're right, the architecture is absolutely amazing. It's one of those places where you don't know where to look first! It really is lovely having this virtual tour of a part of Italy that I really know nothing about, so that you for that my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely photos! I was in Udine 2 years ago (attending a mosaic course) and loved the architecture. All the little towns around (like Grado) are lovely too, and your posts remind me of that time, so thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so great to pretend I'm in Italy through your wonderful pictures! Thank you so much for sharing - what an incredible clock tower - looking forward for more
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love everything about Italy and here my favourite is the fountain! Have you seen my latest ABC Wednesday post about Tuscany and Taormina? Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great photos as usual, Anne! You have become such a GREAT traveler :)

    Naturally I can't wait for your PARIS posts. Wishing you a joyful early birthday and all blessings for the coming year xoxox C and C

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I said it before-Hard to beat the Italians when it comes to architecture and sculptures.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone for commenting, it certainly makes my day. A pleasure to see everyone of you. Old and New.. Blogging not only opens up the world but gives us new friends.