Wednesday 11 May 2011

Basilica di Santa Maria Assunta (Aquileia) Italy ....

The small and quiet but well known village of Aquileia lies in the plain of Friuli not far from the lagoon of Grado. In the 2nd century AD, the Romans built the town-fortress that became one of the most famous towns of the Empire, not only for its military, prowess and its economic wealth, but also for its cultural and spiritual magnificence


Aquileia  was destroyed by Attila in the mid-5th century. Most of it still lies unexcavated beneath the fields, and as such it constitutes the greatest archaeological reserve of its kind. The patriarchal basilica, is an outstanding building with an exceptional mosaic floor, and played a key role in the evangelization of a large region of central Europe.





Glass walkways run either side of the nave so that visitors can admire the decoration without damaging it. The mosaic features early Christian iconography such as a contest between a cockerel and a tortoise ('light' and 'dark'), representations of the seasons  and towards  the altar is an illustration of the story of Jonah and the whale, complete with a range of swimming sea-creatures.




At the beginning of the 20th century, the ancient mosaic pavement was discovered below the nave floor and is thought to be the earliest surviving remnant of any Christian church.





The wooden ceiling is from 1526






You have to visit this wonderful basilica to appreciate the workmanship ...how they did it, is beyond me!!!

14 comments:

  1. I want to live in that Basilica! It's just too beautiful. m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is gorgeous!
    I think that D & I would have a field day here. We are like you; we get "shutter happy" :)

    I know that you are very busy and I say Thank you for taking the time to post and share. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is beautiful and indeed a mystery on how they built such marvels back then!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a superb post I want even more to go to Italy now! The photos are fantastic. I love the mosaic and the art work it is stunning. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely stunning, and I hope to visit it in person one day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wouldn't know whether to look up or down. Those mosaics are phenomenal. The roof is stunning too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been to Aquileia and those mosaics really are spectacular. you visit some beautiful places.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I`ve been there 2 years ago and i was impressed, it si vey nice. Unfortunately i lost my card from my camera so i don`t have any picture, i`m very happy to see these pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Italian mosaics. I haven't seen this though-fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely photos with some good info. Came across your blog with Elisa (Hip Mom) and love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful photos, I really like the ones with the mosaics. Looks like a place I would love to visit. Thank you so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks fascinating. Great shots, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice pictures, i was there 2 years ago and i was impressed, but unfortunately i lost my card with all my pictures. Glad to see yours.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone for commenting, it certainly makes my day. A pleasure to see everyone of you. Old and New.. Blogging not only opens up the world but gives us new friends.